Upcoming Tests

Reminder

Pronunciation Chat Box

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week 11: Linking and Intonation Practice



Linking and Intonation Practice



The following two short conversations include the last two diphthongs in the English phonetic vowel chart: /ay/ and /aw/. Keep in mind that these vowel sounds begin with a Latin “a;” consequently, remember that each of these two sounds begin with the jaw lowered and the mouth open in /a/-position and then moving up to the /y/ or /w/-position. Avoid pronouncing these two vowel sounds like you tend to use it in your native language.



A dialog including /ay/

Mr. Pyle

Are you seeing Mike tonight?

Ivy

Yes. He has a new motorcycle.

He bought it last week.

Mr. Pyle

Did he let you ride it?

Ivy

Yes. I tried it. And I liked it.

Mr. Pyle

Weren’t you frightened?

Ivy

Sure, but I still liked it.

Mr. Pyle

Would you like to by a motorcycle?

Ivy

No, I don’t think so. I think I’ll buy a bike.

My. Pyle

A bike?

Ivy

Yes. Riding on Mike’s motorcycle was nice,

but I’d rather have a bike. And it’s cheaper.




A dialog including /aw/

Tory

I heard a shot coming from town?

John

I couldn’t hear anything.

What happened to the people in the house?

Tory

Everyone around the house was shouting at Don!

But he didn’t go down there, and I didn’t either.

John

Was Don planning to go downtown to find out what had happened?

Tory

Not really. We think there is no sense in being around trouble.

John

What did Don say about the shot?

Tory

Don said, “I doubt that anyone was hurt.

But the hospital is just around the corner.

That’s really lucky.”

John

Don has a good way of thinking.

Tory

He’s pretty calm, don’t you think?

John

Yes. And after the shot downtown, how have you been?

Tory

Well. Things have been better.

I have to go out now. So long!

John

Talk to you later. Bye.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...