Upcoming Tests

Reminder

Pronunciation Chat Box

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Week 10: Linking and Intonation with /uw/ and /ʊ/


Linking and Intonation



Let’s read the following conversation. Pay attention to the natural linking among the words in the text. Keep in mind that words in blue are pronounced with tense “u” and the words in green are pronounced with upsilon /ʊ/.


Michiko

Do you know anything about Luke – the the fellow who was

in the restaurant tonight?

Thomas

Luke? He’s the cook!

Michiko

Luke’s the cook? I couldn’t be more surprised. He’s pretty young, and he’s also pretty good! I think the food was superb –really very, very good.

Thomas

That’s true. Why do you think I took you there? I wanted to please you.

Michiko

Well, you did please me very much. I had a wonderful time. Thank you!

Thomas

Thank you! It was my pleasure. Do you think we could go out again soon?

Michiko

I’d like to. I could call you next week. I’m going home to visit my parents and younger brother for a few days. He’s going back to school on Tuesday.

Thomas

Could I call you at your parents’ home before Tuesday? We could make a date then.

Michiko

All right. Good. Here’s the phone number. Thank you again, and good night.

Thomas


Good night.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...