Upcoming Tests

Reminder

Pronunciation Chat Box

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Week 9: Linking and Intonation with /oy/



Linking and Intonation

Each of the following sentences contains the vowel sound /oy/. Read them carefully, and consciously pronounce each vowel sound correctly. Avoid using the vowel sounds used in your native language; otherwise, this will give you a very strong accent in English.


01.Does Roy play with the toys or destroy them?

02.Don’t spoil the oil. It’s oil for cooking.

03.His voice was full of joy when he saw his

son.

04.The boys found the coin in the soil in the garden.

05.The men on the ship convoy rejoiced when they got to port.

06.Do I have a choice about wearing t

he corduroy pants?

07.The noise crowd was loyal to the Royal Couple.

08.Please point to the employment office.

09.Do you like oysters boiled or broiled?

10.She avoided the boycott in the office.


Now let’s read the following conversation. Pay attention to the natural linking among the words in the text.

Joyce

Michael, have you read any Shakespeare’s plays yet?

Michael

No, I haven’t. I have not taken any literature class yet. Have you, Joyce?

Joyce

Well, I have to read Macbeth. I have no choice. This isn’t the kind of plays I enjoy reading.

Michael

Oh, boy! Isn’t the language very difficult? How can you enjoy reading it? This kind of old English gave my brother a headache.

Joyce

I’m just getting started with the play. And I found a few lines that I’d like you to hear.

Michael

Sure. Go ahead and get to read them in a loud clear voice.

Joyce

There are witches standing around a boiling pot.

Double, double, toil, and trouble;

Fire burn and cauldron bubble …

Like a hell–broth boil and bubble.

Michael

Hey, are you frightened?

Joyce.

Terrified!







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...