Upcoming Tests

Reminder

Pronunciation Chat Box

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Sentences with Mininal Pairs



Sentences with Mininal Pairs



Carefully read the following sentences that contain minimal pairs. Make the difference in vowel quality that is required to state the difference in meaning.

/iy/ vs. /ı/

1. He heats the frying pan.

2. He hits the frying pan.

/ɛ/ vs. /ey/

3. It’s the edge.

4. It’s the age.

/ɛ/ vs. /ı/

5. Where’s the bell?

6. Where’s the bill?

/ɛ/ vs. /æ/

7. The men came to the trial.

8. The man came to the trial.

/a/ vs. /æ/

9. I’ve got a new cot.

10. I’ve got a new cat.

/a/ vs. /ɛ/

11. I bought a pot in the market.

12. I bought a pet in the market.

/ʌ/ vs. /æ/

13. Did you see my uncle?

14. Did you see my ankle?

/ʌ/ vs. /ɛ/

15. It’s a great bunch.

16. It’s a great bench.

/ʌ/ vs. /a/

17. Ken found a nut in the box.

18. Ken found a knot in the box.

/a/ vs. /ʌ/

19. It’s a big farm.

20. It’s a big firm.

/ɔ/ vs. /ʌ/

21. I have a cough.

22. I have a cuff.

/ɔ/ vs. /a/

23. He has gotten the cord.

24. He has gotten the card.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...